Thursday, August 30, 2012

Duncan Hines Tres Leches cake mix Review

A while back i had found a really easy recipe for a Tres Leches cake. Everyone in my family loves Tres Leches. I was pretty happy i found such an easy recipe until i couldn't find the main ingredient "cake flour" i looked all over the place and i could not find it.
     While i was at Wal-Mart looking for the cake flour i found this cake mix. i was skeptical but desperate to make a cake for my mother-in-law for mothers day.

The directions are pretty simple:

For Cake:

  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 3 Large Eggs

For Milk Syrup:

  • 3 1/2 Cups Milk
  1. Prep: PREHEAT oven to 350°F for metal or glass pan, 325°F for dark or coated pan. GREASE sides and bottom of 13 x 9 pan with shortening or oil spray. FLOUR lightly.
  2. Mix: BLEND cake mix, water and eggs in large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). BEAT at medium speed for 1 minute. POUR batter into a prepared cake pan.
  3. Bake: BAKE for 18-20 minutes. Add 3-5 minutes to bake time for dark or coated pans. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. COOL in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. POKE holes in cake with fork, 1/2-inch part. Leave cake in pan..
  4. Blend: BLEND contents from small packet and 3 1/2 cups milk in small bowl with wire whisk until completely dissolved and well blended.
  5. Pour: POUR milk syrup over top of cake slowly. Cover and REFRIGERATE at least 2 hours. Frost before serving. KEEP REFRIGERATED UNTIL READY TO SERVE. PROMPTLY REFRIGERATE UNUSED BAKED CAKE.


I used two packages of Cool Whip and my favorite fresh fruit. This cake was such a hit! Everyone was asking what bakery i bought it from. I can't believe all these years i have been spending 50 + dollars on a cake when i can bake it  myself! This cake mix is delicious and i recommended it to all of my friends and family. Here are a few cakes i have made below.

 above is the cake i made for my mother in law for mothers day. i added two packages of Cool Whip, nuts,peaches and pineapple chunks.. i didn't have strawberries that day.

And here is a birthday cake i made for my sister in law's husband.

Go out and purchase this to try it for yourself! I've seen it at Wal-Mart and grocery stores as well.

www.duncanhines.com you can also check out their products online along with recipes.

Enjoy!  Do you like Tres Leches cake?  Let me know how yours came out!




7 comments:

  1. OMG!!! It's been a while since I baked a tres leches cake!!! Soooo delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the delicious so easy recipe for the tres leches cake it was a big hit at my new years party. Not a taste left over. Got everything I needed at walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't your sister in law's husband your brother? Also, yes this cake is BOSS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No her husband isn't related to me. She's my husbands sister.
    Thanks for replying I love tres leches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been able to find this cake except once. Loved it and have searched for it since then but with no luck. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to try to make this cake as you have it above. I hope I like it. I made it once recently on my own and I must have done something wrong... Praying for good results with your suggestions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put extra water by accident what happens ?

    ReplyDelete